Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Bookstore Memories


"You don't like K-drama, do you?" asked Lydia, my colleague, when we were eating at the office pantry.

I replied, "Nah, but I like Squid Game, though. And a Japanese thriller series Alice in Borderland."

And then we had a long conversation about Alice in Borderland. Lydia told me that she did read the comic version, and I was surprised because I haven't seen someone read a comic book in a while. "It was a long time ago," she said, "Now I only read the manga."

My memory was thrown far back. I enjoyed reading comics when I was in elementary school. My favorite author was Kyoko Hikawa and Chie Watari. To buy comics in Gramedia, I spared my allowance. I also rented some comics and novels at Comic Corner (later named Zoe Corner) at Jalan Dipatiukur, Bandung. But the habit of reading comics was stopped when I started to read Popcorn. I was very immersed in Popcorn's love story and it had me dying to have that kind of relationship! LOL.

Anyways, the conversation I had with Lydia reminded me of the joy of buying books in a bookstore. I remembered that I must have waited for months for my favorite comic to release its new edition and felt joy when I found the new one. I also recalled the Gramedia Merdeka's third floor filled with comics. I spent hours there to read every title of a comic book.

Now I want my child to experience buying books in a bookstore as well. All this time, she always got the books I bought online, and she never got the thrill of looking for books in bookstores. I think I'll take her to Gramedia or Togamas next time.


---------

Photo by John Michael Thomson on Unsplash

0 comments:

Post a Comment