Saturday, October 16, 2021

Dear Government, We Need More Than Replacing Plastic Bags

I attended a training program about climate-smart land-use practices to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for the past ten days. I was not a participant. I was there because I needed to write a report of the event. The topic was interesting and I've gained many insights.


The speaker shared how a change can happen if we have the technical knowledge and collaborate with other stakeholders (policymakers, academics, scientists, farmers, governments). We must create a tipping point or 'one small action that is viral and impacts many people'. In short, we must create a vast movement to achieve our change targets.

The government of Jakarta has already banned the use of plastic bags in mini markets (unfortunately mini markets still offer plastic bags in Bandung). Also, I notice that when I shop in big restaurants such as Pizza Hut or Starbucks, they offer me a tote bag. I welcome this good intention and I am happy that the brand has started to be conscious of the environment. But it leads to another problem.. I have six tote bags right now and I don't use them all. Later that I know that cotton tote bags aren't planet-friendly as it seems. Cotton is so water-intensive and also it is associated with forced labor. 

I conclude that we don't see it only in one area when we see an environmental problem. If we want to use eco-friendly products, we have to know how the product is processed or how many carbon footprints are created. We have to recognize the problem as a whole landscape. Everything in the landscape is interconnected and impacts each other, so we need to know the problem in a bird's eye view or system thinking. 

Does small action enough?

I remember that I used to be excited to follow the zero/less waste movement. My child used cloth diapers when she was a baby. I tried to change my regular shampoo with soapnut berry (or lerak) and create a natural cleaner with eco-enzyme. I still refuse plastic bags until now. I have a stainless straw as a substitute for plastic straw. I bring food containers whenever I want to take away some food. I also use a menstrual cup to reduce disposable sanitary napkins. 

There is some intriguing when I observe my circle (family and friends). As far as I know, only a few of my friends are doing the same thing as I do. Yes, there is a lot of people who are aware of environmental problem. But if we compare these people with the rest of Indonesian, is it plenty enough to make a change? 

I realized that small thing doesn't count if the government doesn't create an enabling environment. They need to make a regulations, such as create a limit or ban plastic bag production. They must provide incentives and create a market where these eco-friendly products are accessible and affordable. For instance, Indonesia has produced an electric motorcycle. But does the electrical station as many as gasoline station? Is there any tax incentive for the users? What if I run out of battery and there is no electric plug near me? Is the spare battery part available in mini markets?

ASEAN has a non-binding guideline for us to tackle these climate change challenges. The government must create a regulations for the private sectors instead of encouraging the ground level to substitute plastic bags with cotton tote bags while massive factories keep producing them. Otherwise, the plastic bag replacement is only a gimmicky campaign.

0 comments:

Post a Comment